Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Wheels on the Bus....



Well surprise surprise. It was raining today when we got up. What a great way to start a Saturday. I decided I was still going to run so off I went sloshing along through the puddles. There were not too many people out this Saturday morning, first I suspect since it was early Saturday morning and second because it was RAINING! Anyway, all went well until I ventured to close to what looked like an old junkyard. I sensed someone was following me and turned just in time to see a large German, uh maybe Ukrainian, Shepherd closing on me bent on making my right calf his next meal. Now it is always amazing how you react to these types of situations. I could have run faster, well maybe not much faster, but still. I could have panicked, which I think I did to some degree, but I just stopped, turned, and yelled "NO, NO" but not in English, in my best Ukrainian. The dog began to bark and I began to walk away very slowly. Natasha told me I had to worry about the drivers and the drunks when I ran, I guess she forgot about the dogs.



Anyway, I have to tell the Ann-on-the-bus story. Two days ago, we were headed to the city center and the Evensons wanted to take the bus. Ann and I were game so we ventured out to the main street. As the bus approached you could see it was jammed packed with people. The bus stopped and a few people got off. We were towards the front of the line, if you could call it a line, and we were soon stepping onto the bus. There was no way all of us were going to get on the bus, that was clear. We hesitated a little and weren't sure what to do. We were on the steps and there was no room on the bus. Just then, a old lady pushed Ann right in the back and it dropped Ann to her knees. The woman was saying something, who knows what. It became quite apparent there was a bus protocol we were not aware of. The protocol demanded that you push yourself with all your might until all that wished to ride were on board. Let's just say we got to know a few Ukrainians better than we would have liked. Kris and Cort, you got your wish. We rode the bus!

13 comments:

Yort Rrac said...

GO UTES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yort Rrac said...

Here Kitty Kitty (3 all)

So Jeff, how do you say "NO, NO" in Ukrainian. Maybe "Sit, Stay" might have been a better choice.

Yort Rrac said...

Okay Jeff I know you're missing the game so at the end of the 1st it is 10-3 Utes (of course).

Kris and Corissa said...

ummm...maybe you guys shouldn't leave the apartment...

Yort Rrac said...

27-17 Utes at the half

Yort Rrac said...

27-24 Utes at the end of the 3rd

Yort Rrac said...

48-24 UTES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry Ann Bwa-hah-hah

Anonymous said...

Your quest for perfection just became our reality......Max hall MVP!!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah!!!!!!!!! Thanks for taking the bus. That story totally made my day!!! I love the system over there, sorry about the whole dropping you to your knees thing though ann.

Anonymous said...

We always enjoy the stories!! And you blazing the way makes it smoother for all those that will follow. I'm making a do and don't list but I could never post it here and have it survive :-) Hope all goes well the remainder of your trip.

Amanda Ann Hansen said...

Wow, I agree with Ris! You guys should just stay inside and watch Iron Man a few more times.

Corissa told me that everyone was wondering what my cryptic message on her blog was all about. I didn't mean to leave you hangin'...it really wasn't that big of a deal. Just a hot date to the Coldplay concert.

Stay safe and keep the posts coming!!

David said...

Just wondering if you have recieved our emails concerning our kids in Poltava? Thanks.
David and Griselda

ann said...

David, no we haven't. Send them to jeffandann9@yahoo.com